Book online now!

St. Michael's church


The original church was built on top of Kalkberg hill. After a necessary relocation, the new church and its monastery were built in the town, at the foot of the hill, between 1376 and 1418. St. Michael's church has also been effected by subsidence - inside, some of the pillars are crooked.

From 1701 to 1702, Johann Sebastian Bach was a member of the St Michael's convent school choir, and the church square now bears the name, "Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Platz".

More information at