Wietzendorf: St. Jakobi Church
The church is named after James the Elder, who belonged to the inner circle around Jesus. He has been considered the patron saint of pilgrims since the Middle Ages. The presence of a church in Wietzendorf has been documented since 1231. However, the original medieval Gothic church was no longer sufficient for the congregation by the 19th century, and so the architect Conrad Hase was commissioned to build the current church in 1876. The new church is in a simple neo-Gothic style and contains 600 seats under a wide vaulted ceiling. In order to use the space as efficiently as possible, a central aisle was omitted. The wooden church tower of the old church, built in 1545, was incorporated. Of the tower's three bells, the oldest is from 1564.
The bronze baptismal font (from around 1350) is the church’s oldest feature. The original neo-Gothic altar cross hangs on the wall above the baptismal font. In 1957, the choir was painted by Rudolf Schäfer. The choir’s centre is adorned with a triumphal rood painted above the altar; above that, in the vault, the Lamb of God is depicted as a symbol of the elevated Christ. The adjacent figures relate to the messianic promises of the prophet Isaiah (Isa. 9:5). The two paintings to the left and right of the chancel represent Christmas and Easter. The organ was built in 1867 by the Engelhard family of organ builders.
Services: Sundays at 10 am